Saturday, October 4, 2008

Happy New Year...Jewish Style!

This week we celebrated Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year. We went into West Jerusalem and attendend a Jewish Synagouge. It was such a neat experiance. The whole meeting was in Hebrew, so I didn't have a clue about what was going on, but it was still so neat to see. There was a lot of singing, chanting, and bowing. They even blew a ram's horn at the end. That has a very...umm... interesting sound. We were only there for a little over an hour, but the Jews stay there all day in the synagouge. It's very impressive that they have such a high level of devotion to God. When we were walking there and back it was so strange because the streets, that are ususally so crowded you can't even walk down them were completely deserted. Every store was closed. The city completely shut down. I'm glad I got to experiance their New Year. It was way interesting. But I think I'll stick with our New Year's celebration of a big party while watching the ball drop. :)

1 comments:

Amy K said...

Happy New Year to you! Any midnight kisses? That's definitely a tradition they should adopt.