Saturday, September 13, 2008

Walking where Jesus walked

This week I walked where Jesus walked. (That is so fun to say!!) Earlier this week there was a group of us that decided to walk the Via Dolorosa ("the way of pain/the way of the cross"). It's the path that the Catholics believe that Christ walked through Jerusalem while He was carrying the cross. When Catholics do it they have wooden crosses they can rent and carry through the streets too (we didn't do that). It was really neat. There were about 13 stops through out the city where Christ did certain things, and everyone of those has a church built over the top of it by different churches. It started at the gate where He enterered, and walked pass the place where the Virgin Mary was born, and even included places where he stubbled, and where the servant was asked to carry His cross. My favorite place was the spot where Jesus was tried, whipped, and had the crown of thrones placed on his head. There is a really pretty courtyard in front and it was very peaceful, despite its non-peaceful history. It ended at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. This is where they believed He was actually lifted up as well as the place where He was burried. It was by far the most ornately decorated church on the route. It was very beautiful.

But my FAVORITE spot was...not even on the Via Dolorosa. It was at the Garden Tomb. Today is Shabbot, so after Chruch (and another amazingly spiritual sacrament meeting) a few of us walked to Garden Tomb. This is by far my favorite place that I've been to so far. The Garden is owned by a Christian Organization that for some reason decided to be the only ones to NOT build a church over this site. And it is spectaular. The spirit is SO strong there. I can't even describe it. We were able to actually walk inside the tomb and as I walked through the door, tears started streaming down my face. They have benches scattered throughout the garden and I sat and read the 4 accounts of the Ressurection in the Bible. I sat there and looked around in wonder at the place where I was. There was about 15 people that came there from the Center and after we had been there for a while we started singing some Hymns. We sang about 5 or 6 and ended with "How Great Thou Art". There were quite a few other people at the site as well and many of them sang along with us at the chorus. It was amazing that there were so many people there from so many different backgrounds and religions, but we were all connected and united while we sang this great hymn. It was very powerful.

So all in all it was a great week (despite the fact that one of our field trips got cancelled because of security and were in lock down mode agian for a day)and a wonderful Shabbot. So until next time, Shabbot Shalom (Have a peaceful Sabbath)

2 comments:

Megalicious said...

Tami, I love you!!! I am glad you are having such good experiences. I can pictures you telling me the stories when you write about it. It's amazing. Hope you are having fun and being safe

Guh said...

that is so amazing tami. Seriously i think it is so neat that you are over there! I love hearing all about it... it is so amazing to hear about everything.

keep 'em comin!